Spend less time in the kitchen and more time with family and friends on the day of the big dinner.
The secret to this recipe is cashews and a blender. You might be thinking...cashews and gravy WHAT?? Cashews are like this magical thing that can turn food into a beautiful creamy texture. If you can throw some stuff in a blender and push a button then you've got this!
This recipe is so much quicker then making gravy the old fashioned way. You know using the juices from the vegetables and then mixing up flour and water, shaking it up, then doing all kinds of stirring until it thickens up, and then hope you don't get any lumps...oh my gravy the old fashioned way is SO much work.
This recipe is totally inspired by my sister. A few years ago for Christmas dinner she told me that she bought some cans of gravy because making the gravy on day of the big dinner is so much work. I am with her, the old fashioned way is to much work. Hey sister this recipe is for you...no messing around on with gravy on Christmas day this year!
This gravy goes great with our Savory Make Ahead Stuffing recipe.
Roast the veggies and then add sage.
Get out your high speed blender and add the veggies, raw cashews and coconut water, blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
What You Need
These Ingredients go in the oven to roast and then they go in the blender:
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (either crimini or portbella mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced yellow or red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons 100% pure grape seed oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sage
These ingredients go in the blender:
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 1/2 cup coconut water
What To Do
(1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
(2) Chop the mushrooms, carrots, yellow pepper and red onion.
(3) Coat the veggies with the grape seed oil, himalayan salt and fresh cracked pepper.
(4) Get out a baking tray and a piece of parchment paper (so clean up is easier), spread the veggies on to the tray.
(5) Roast veggies in the oven for 20 minutes then add the sage.
(6) Get out your high speed blender and add the veggies, raw cashews and coconut water, blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
(7) The gravy can either be stored in the fridge or served right away.
If you like your gravy on the thin side add more coconut water to adjust it to exactly how you like it.
Let’s Get Healthy Together
Get in the kitchen and give this recipe a try.
Let us know how it turns out for you. Write us a comment or post a picture on instagram and tag us @saltsole, we wanna see it.
You Might Also Like
- Savory Make Ahead Stuffing
- Comforting Lentil Shepherd's Pie
- Coconut Oil Oven Roasted Crispy Potatoe Slices
Icon credit - Noun Project
- Oven icon created by: Nathan Thomsom
- Onion icon created by: Luis Prado
- Blender icon created by: Yorlmar Campos