We love starting our weekends with this delicious Banana Bread Oatmeal. It brings a nice feeling of warm comfort on those cold mornings in the Fall and Winter.
Our top 3 reasons we love cooking with oats...
- plant based source of iron
- plant based source of protein
- contains "soluble" fibre which stays in the stomach longer and helps you feel fuller
This is a healthy food switch that works for us...at one time we would buy those packages of oatmeal, you know the kind where you open a package just add boiling water. When we started reading labels we were surprised to see that the brand that we were buying had a lot of sugar and table salt. We started experimenting with homemade versions, this recipe is our favourite, my son came up with it!
What You Need
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats or gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
What To Do
(1) Turn the kettle on and get the water boiling.
(2) Put the oatmeal, pure maple syrup, himalayan salt and the cinnamon in a pot.
(3) Mash the banana and put it aside. If you are going to be using frozen blueberries for the topping (that's what we do), get them out of the freezer now so they start to defrost.
(4) Once the water is boiled, add 2 cups to the pot and give everything a stir. Put the lid on the pot and cook on high until everything comes to a boil and then turn down to a medium low temperature for 5 minutes.
(5) Add the banana and give it a good stir, put the lid back on.
(6) Cook for another 10 minutes or until the oatmeal is at the consistency that you like. If you like your oatmeal super thick then just take the pot off of the heat, leave the lid on for 5 minutes and it will really thicken up.
(7) Give it a taste, if you like things sweeter add a bit more pure maple syrup.
(8) Top with blueberries or any other fruit that you like, jam also works great.
If its important to you to that your oatmeal is gluten free, make sure you buy Certified "GF" oats.
Let’s Get Healthy Together
Get in the kitchen and give this recipe a try.
Let us know how it turns out for you. Write us a comment or post a picture on instagram and tag us @saltsole, we wanna see it.
You Might Also Like
Icon credit - Noun Project
- Running man icon by: Norbert Kucsera