This recipe is great for lunches or dinner on a meatless Monday. I have been working on this recipe for a while in order to avoid adding packaged vegetable broth, and I finally got it.
What You Need
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- To taste - himalayan salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (if you don't like things spicy then use less or skip it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (or switch this with any other veggie)
- 1 cup chopped cabbage (or switch this with any other veggie)
- 1 cup lentils (use any colour except red, red needs less cooking time)
- 1 - 6oz can tomato paste
- 5 cups boiled water
What To Do
(1) Prep all of the veggies that you will be using in this recipe.
(2) Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat then add in the onion and cook until golden brown.
(3) Add in all of the spices and give it a stir.
(4) Add in the lentils and all of the veggies, give it another stir.
(5) Add in the 5 cups of boiled water and the tomato paste and give it a good stir.
(6) Bring it to a boil and then turn it down to low. Cook for 35-40 minutes (or until the lentils and veggies are softened).
(7) After its done, taste it and add more himalayan salt and freshly ground cracked pepper if you think it needs it.
(8) Let the soup cool and then take out the bay leaf.
(9) Pack it in grab-and-go containers. This is an important step because if you are surrounded by healthy grab-and-go lunches you are less likely to eat fast food.
Share This Recipe!
Do you think this recipe looks yummy? Please use the Yum button to show us!
Should you decide to give this recipe a try we would love to hear how it went! Write us a comment or post a picture on instagram and tag us via @saltsole to make sure we see it.
You Might Also Like
- Homemade French Onion Soup with a Healthy Twist
- Easy Split Pea Soup
- Smashed Baked Bean Avocado Sandwich on Ezekiel Bread
- Healthy Homemade Crunchy Croutons
Icon credit - Noun Project
- Mixing bowl icon created by:
- Onion icon created by: Luis Prado
Hand made placemat
- We are loving the gorgeous Christmas placemat (used in the second photo in this post) it was hand made by a good friend, you can check her out over at etsy - its sew Katrina